The Peterborough Dental Access Centre was last night named as the third winner of the British Dental Association (BDA) Good Practice Scheme Practice-of-the-Year Award.
The award, open to all members of the BDA Good Practice Scheme, recognises outstanding commitment to patient care by the whole dental team. The winning team was applauded for delivering a comprehensive range of NHS services to a population primarily with high needs, seven days a week. This includes gerodontology, periodontology and domiciliary services for housebound patients. The centre also accepts referrals from local dentists whose patients require minor oral surgery and general anaesthesia for extractions.
The 20-strong team received the award at the fourth annual BDA Honours and Awards Dinner in London, which is supported by the British Dental Trade Association (BDTA). The evening also featured presentations to individuals by the BDA in recognition of service to dentistry and the BDA, along with a range of awards presented by the BDTA and dental care professional associations.
The President of the British Dental Association John Drummond said: “This event has become a true celebration of the dental lab equipment, giving recognition to the commitment and talent of some very special individuals. We were delighted to be joined by so many friends and colleagues from across dentistry to mark these achievements.
“The Good Practice Scheme is recognised as a benchmark for excellence with 1,250 members who have successfully completed the programme, with a further 2,000 practices working towards membership.”
The honours and awards presented were as follows:
- BDA life membership to Richard Beardon, David Evans, Tony Glenn, Robin Graham, Richard Kendrick, Philip Lang, John Muir, James Robertson and Jim Watson.
- The 2009 British Association of Dental Nurses’ award for outstanding contribution to dental nursing: Janet Goodwin
- John Tomes Medal for scientific eminence and outstanding service to the dental profession: Richard van Noort and Geoff Craig
- The Orthodontic National Group award (ONG) for outstanding contribution to orthodontic nursing and distinguished service to the ONG: Fiona Grist
- BDA Fellowship for outstanding service to the Association and the dental profession: David Lester
- The Dental Technologists Association Fellowship award for outstanding contribution to dental technology: Brian Gordon
- The BDA Certificate of Merit for Services to the Association: Mike Hill
- The BDTA Award for outstanding contribution to the dental industry: Martin Mills
- The BDA Certificate of Merit for Services to the Profession: Jane Armitage, Bridget Ashton, Glenys Bridges, Jo Eisenberg, Ashiq Ghauri, Eric Nash, Malcolm Prideaux and Kenneth Stark*
- The Clinical Dental Technicians Award for outstanding achievement: Kevin Manners
- The British Association of Dental Therapists Roll of Distinction Award: Irene Ellis.